Reference Map of Asia
Asia is a the largest and most populace continent on earth and home to much that we consider exotic. China and India dominate Asia in terms of population, while Japan and South Korea tend to drive the economic outlook.
- Asia covers 8.6% of the Earth's total surface area (or 29.9% of its land area) with a population approaching 4 billion people.
- Asia has been the historical birthplace of all major world religions.
More facts and figures about Asia.
Geography, Politics & Cultural Complications
- Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Turkey are considered to be transcontinental countries, spanning both Asia and Europe. Many organizations place them in Europe while others include them in Asia.
- Indonesia is often considered a transcontinental country with territory in both Asia and Oceania, and East Timor can be placed in either Asia or Oceania.
- The island of Cyprus is located on the Anatolian plate but is a member of European organizations such as the Council of Europe and the European Union. Armenia is similarly located fully within Asia, but is a member of the Council of Europe.